Every winter millions of pounds worth of damage is caused by frozen and burst pipes, due to extreme weather conditions. Please take a look at our essential tips to help keep your home protected this winter.
- Ensure that the boiler and heating system are regularly serviced annually by a registered professional.
- If your home is left unattended leave the heating on low to prevent pipes freezing in very cold weather.
- Make sure your loft is insultated (recommended thickness is around 270mm).
- Ensure furniture isn’t too close to your radiators and allow heat to circulate.
- Know where the water shut off valve (stop tap) is in the event of an emergency as it will help you to quickly isolate the supply.
- Water pipes, cold water tanks and taps in unheated or vulnerable places should be lagged to help prevent pipes freezing.
- We recommend that pipes are visually checked regularly. Plastic plumbing joints will degrade sooner than metal ones. Arrange to re-washer any dripping taps; if they freeze, they’ll block your pipes.
- Keep your drains clear - avoid putting any food waste or fat down the sink as this can cause a blockage.
If you wish to claim on your Integra policy for damage caused by an escape of water, please visit our claims pages for more information and to register your claim online.Back to news and features